Wednesday, June 26, 2013

car cozy

As you might know, I have a grandson.  As you might not know, this grandson LOVES anything with wheels:  cars, trucks, trailers, trains, motorcycles, wheelbarrows (ok, maybe not that one).  But cars are his #1 go-to toy and have been, I'm sure, for as long as he can remember!   So when I saw the pattern for a car carrier in the Winter 2012 Simple Quilts & Sewing magazine, I knew who needed it.


Last night during quilting class, I discovered some fabrics that inspired me to get sewing.  They are from a Riley Blake line named Boy Crazy.  The fabrics are so cute that I bought some others from the line to make a special pillowcase for Grandma's house (pics to come).
I stitched up the car project in no time this morning and will whip up the pillowcase this afternoon.  Gotta love the easy ones!


The only changes I made to the pattern were to add rick rack to the pocket dividers and to top stitch the yellow road lines.  Oh yes, I didn't use black flannel for the road as the pattern suggested.  I thought it would collect far too much fuzz and crumbs from the floor.
(I just noticed the whisker thread at the bottom that needs snipping! oopsie)



I bought the tractor and jeep from Target, and the green/silver car we had leftover from my boys.  I do wish the tractor had a trailer, but Evan is quite skilled at taping and I'm sure will finagle a way to have it "haul" something.

See what I mean??


The cozy folds in half and rolls up quite nicely, even with the bulky cars inside. After I took this photo, I angled the ribbon ends and applied Dritz Fray Check - a sewing staple!  

Happy vroom-vrooming to Grandma's little darling!





2 comments:

  1. Absolutely adorable--and useful!!! LOL at the taped vehicles!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it. What an adorable and great idea.

    ReplyDelete