Thursday, April 5, 2012

text treats

While perusing the antiquated selection of quilting books at my local library, I came across one gem titled  "Last Minute Patchwork + Quilted Gifts".
Inside there was a simple sailboat wall hanging pattern which perfectly coordinated with my grandson's nautical themed nursery.  The project in the book was made up in reproduction fabrics with horizontal line stitching.  I made mine in more contemporary fabrics and added the anchor on the sail as well as the birds overhead.  I felt that  a swirly pattern to mimic wind was a better choice for the quilting...but it wasn't something I could do myself.  Once it came home from the quilters, I bound it in a red and white striped fabric.
 

This quilt, which I began last October, is the one I designed for my son, Kevin.  It is the quilt that started this new obsession of mine and was the first project I had professionally quilted.  This evening I sewed the binding to the front and will hand stitch it on the reverse side while traveling to Sacramento tomorrow.  Now that my other sons have seen it, they're all asking, "Where's mine?!"


P.S.  This post is titled "text treats" because the way J'Adore Quitling  notifies someone that their project is ready is by texting a picture of the finished project.  How fun is that?!

2 comments:

  1. They are both beautiful. I love how you share your gifts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, thank you, Ellen. I'm quite obsessed with this new interest - quilting. And it's all Leigh Braithwaite's fault!! *wink*

    ReplyDelete