Friday, November 2, 2012

picnic quilt

This is the second quilt that I've designed (first one blogged here).  There's a good chance that there are other quilts out there which are similar; but as of yet, I haven't seen them.  So for now, I'm calling it an original (bubble bursting most likely to follow!).

Most of the fabrics I used are from my favorite line, Flea Market Fancy, by none other than......get ready......you saw it coming......Denyse Schmidt!

As you can see, the center is a four-square.  The next step is a court house step with the fabric in that step repeated throughout. The next step is a log cabin.  Easy!

In this photo, the wind was blowing a little (I promise that my lines are not that crooked!).

The backing fabric was chosen by how perfectly it represented the idea of a "picnic quilt" - plus it will camouflage grass stains quite nicely!

The quilting pattern is Baptist Fans (*heart*) stitched by my friends at J'Adore Quilting.

This quilt took a little longer to piece because I had to perform major surgery before I was happy with it.  Originally, I did not have corner squares in the sashing; there were just long strips of grey. But once it was finished, it looked like race tracks (especially with the white dashes in the fabric) as well as the grey overpowering the quilt.  So I cut out each intersection and added in the contrasting squares.  Well worth the time because when it was done.....true love.

It's now ready to have ketchup, mustard, and soda spilled all over it!

P.S. Discriminating viewers will notice that the first photo shows the quilt upside down. Oopsie!

No comments:

Post a Comment