Tuesday, October 30, 2012

pattern purchasing tips

Sale alert!
JoAnn's Fabrics has McCalls patterns for only $1.29.
That's right.  One dollar and twenty-nine cents!!!

When patterns are this cheap, I can buy two (or three, or four...) of the same one and then not have to worry about saving cutting lines when I want to make more than one size. Yay!



With nearly all patterns, you cannot judge the possibilities by the cover -  which is why I posted a snippet of the back of the pattern.

My advice is to use the picture on the pattern front to see if you like the garment fit, but use the drawing on the pattern back to see if you like the garment style.  If you try to make your decision on whether or not to buy a pattern based on the fabrics the pattern makers chose, you will most likely leave the store missing tufts of hair empty handed! 

I've decided not to make the ruffles as wide as shown (too bulky),  I will definitely put sleeves on the girls dress/romper, and I won't be making the boys romper at all (funky fit). But the final green light for purchasing this pattern were the back buttons.  Zipper closures on children's clothing are bulky and scratchy, and I don't understand using them as a back closure AT ALL.  Have you ever seen a zipper on the back of a Janie and Jack outfit?  Point proven.

P.S.  I know that we're in winter, but wouldn't the dress be cute in pinwale corduroy with a long sleeved t-shirt behind it? The romper will just have to wait until spring!


No comments:

Post a Comment