Wednesday, October 24, 2012

a gently stated quilt


I'm inexplicably drawn to a certain style of patchwork that is found in Japanese craft books and magazines.  It's an understated look - low contrast, usually with delicate fabrics. When I saw this line of fabric, Woodland Trails by Riley Blake, I decided to try my own version of that style with this quilt.


I did have to add a couple of other fabrics to the 3 charm packs I had purchased - I didn't realize that Riley Blake doesn't put as many squares in a charm pack as Moda does. But now I know to pay attention to that little number on the back of the package!

The pattern is called Smitten by Rachel Griffith.  It's pictured with a white background, but wanting my background to blend more with the blocks for the look I was after, I chose beige with white dots instead.


I love the strip layers around the edge of the quilt.  These are not part of the line and I can't remember now who manufactures them.  They are tiny checks that read as a solid unless you're looking closely.  The backing fabric is one of Denyse Schmidt's lovelies and was purchased at JoAnn's.  I chose leaves as the quilting pattern to complement the outdoorsy, animal fabrics.


When our family went on vacation to Yosemite this past August, I took this quilt along to sew on the binding while we drove.  Once I finished it, my little grandson used it to lay on to watch Stuart Little (a movie he simply calls "mouse").
I think it's a sweet quilt and quite love it.


No comments:

Post a Comment