Wednesday, October 17, 2012

off-beat practicality

While at quilting class a few weeks ago, I spied an interesting color of green fabric on sale.  I snatched it up and off I went in search of something ... funky ... to coordinate with it.  Upstairs I discovered a fabric with piggy banks on it.  **Piggy banks!!!**
When I came downstairs with my duo, my quilting teacher's eyebrow raised ever so subtly.  Even though not a word was uttered,  I could tell that I might be out on a limb.  I decided the success of my quest depended on finding just one more fabric.  Something somewhat serious that said, "Don't worry.  I know what I'm doing."  And black with greyed white dots spoke those very words to me.


At that moment, I knew what I was making.
I don't want to call them "hot pads" or "pot holders".  Far too functional.  So I'll be Shakespearean and make up my own word like ... warmies.  Let's try it.
"Hey, Honey.  Can you grab me the warmies?"
Hmmmm.
This is going to take a little more thought.  Any ideas?



Sorry about the peek-a-boo element to the photos.  I plan on writing a pattern for all four and will show the other two when I do.  Hopefully I can figure out how to link a pdf file to my blog before we all ring in the new year.  My goal is to make some for all of my family members as Christmas presents this year (if you are a family member reading this, sorry I didn't issue a spoiler alert!).

FYI:  The inside batting is Insul-Bright, and the finished size for all four is 9.5 inches.  I didn't put a little loop in the corner so that they would look better if used on the table underneath a hot dish.
The set quilted with vertical lines is simply stitched the width of my walking foot.  The other set was quilted with outline stitches.

No comments:

Post a Comment