Tuesday, October 23, 2012

It's a match!

I've had my eye on this sewing project for quite a while and last night finally got to stitching it. Truth be told, I needed something to work on to distract me while I watched/listened to the presidential debates.  They soooo stress me out.  Because I want my guy to do well, I'm on pins and needles until it's over.


This project is from The Purl Bee and is titled Emily's Memory Game.
Since the fabric squares are 2 1/2", it is a perfect project for those who have leftover
... quilting word alert ...
jelly rolls strips.


I only made half of the recommended squares because I didn't have enough of the white wool on hand to make more.  Fortunately, today I found an etsy seller who can enhance my depleted supply.


One change I made to the pattern was to use iron-on adhesive between the top and bottom squares so that they wouldn't try to slide around while sewing them together.  Another change was to zigzag through all of the layers instead of just the top two. And finally, an obvious change was that I used blue as the backing instead of white.  Not sure I like the stitches showing on the blue; but I knew if I'd used white as the pattern suggested, the squares wouldn't be munchkin-hand friendly.


I had in my crafting stash the perfect box to store the game in (probably either from Hobby Lobby or Michael's).  See, Honey. I do eventually put this stuff to use!
I simply washed the box in blue acrylic paint and sealed it with Mod Podge.  The decorative paper was modged to the bottom so that it was less likely to be peeled up by those little prying hands that we all know will attempt to get to that bee!



I think I'm drawn to memory games (see this post) because when I was young, my mother would play Concentration with me over and over and over again. We'd take turns laying out the 52 playing cards on the living room floor and chat while we tried to memorize the location of the face-down cards.  I remember winning a lot of those matches.  Having been a mother to young children myself, I now know why.  *wink*

2 comments:

  1. It's so very quick and easy! For my next batch, I'm going to use a little stiffer interfacing (although the lighter weight was just fine). Just a personal preference. Please, let me know if you end up making some yourself!

    ReplyDelete