Wednesday, October 17, 2012

out on a whim

We are going to time travel a little ... back to Mother's Day to be exact.
Here's my tale:
I wanted to make a quilt/throw for my mom for Mother's Day.  So like a responsible first born daughter,  I started two months in advance of the holiday to make sure that it would be finished in time.  And it was.  And I didn't like it.
Not. at. all.
So Plan B was set into motion.  Buy Mom a temporary Mother's Day gift, start anew on the quilt concept, and send her the replacement ASAP.  Thankfully, once it was finished I loved it....which then made me hesitate to mail it.  And as much as I respect my friends at the local post office, I just didn't want to put my hard earned quilt into a box, wave it good-bye, and cross my fingers (No, I've never lost a quilt; but I have spent a little time perusing lostquilt.com and have nearly wept over what has been lost!).
So here it is mid-October and this quilt is finally going to meet its rightful owner.  Mom and her husband are going to be here in two days, and I'll be able to give her her gift as well as a humble apology.
But she won't judge me ... because she's my mom. And so very wonderful.
The floral block fabric is from the line Gypsy Caravan by Amy Butler.
The pattern is "On a Whim" by Thimble Blossoms.
The background fabric is something I found at a quilt shop in Parker, Colorado which you just can't find anymore (I've tried).  The backing fabric is from JoAnn's and still available.
The quilting pattern is called "feather meander" and was machine stitched by J'Adore Quilting.  I wanted to use a traditional-ish design to tone down the modern-ish prints.
The quilt is a little large for a lap quilt, but my mom's husband does have long legs - so maybe that's not a bad thing!
My husband helped me find the binding fabric (I bought three before I found the right one).  He is a wonderful, patient sounding board.

Happy snuggling, Mom!



No comments:

Post a Comment