Tuesday, April 9, 2013

their loss is my gain

I know that when I start running for the sugar, especially something with chocolate attached to it, that I'm needing to do something that I either don't want to do or that makes me nervous to do.

And the fact that I just ate a graham cracker with peanut butter and chocolate chips on top (slim pickens), lets me know that I'm anxious about this post.  I just don't know if you're going to love or hate my most recent finished project.

Here's my story...

Long ago when I first started quilting, I made quite a few "starter" quilts.  As I was trying out new techniques, I'd shop sale fabrics so that if the project didn't turn out so well, it wouldn't be at any great financial loss.

When I was ready to begin this quilt, I went to fabricworm.com and perused what they had on sale for half off.  I found some fabrics in a line by Tina Givens called Lilliput Fields.  The prints were different than anything I'd seen before.
Really almost ugly. 
Then I wondered if I could take a borderline ugly fabric and put it together in such a way that it would become .... well, cool.


But when I got done all I could see was ORANGE!
Is orange is ok? (Please say it's ok) 

One thing I know was right was choosing the large clamshell pattern for the quilting.

And here's the funky backing fabric.  Again, chosen because it was cheap inexpensive.

All in all, when everything combined it just might have worked.

It did look like it belonged on the poolside lounge chair when I tested it at the resort where we're staying.  And size wise, it will make a great quilt for the beach (67"x 67"). So another good consequence of not investing a lot of money in the fabric is that the quilt becomes quite stress free!

I think I'm attached... and at 50% off, no less ;)




1 comment:

  1. I love it! It is so different, and I love the colors! So great, too, that the fabric didn't go to waste! You're a lean (because you quilted instead of eating), mean (only in a good way) quilting machine!!!

    ReplyDelete