Tuesday, March 5, 2013

let's go!

Here's a quilt top that I completed last night.

It's for my grandson, Evan (of course!).
While I was visiting my daughter's family in Colorado a few weeks ago, we stopped in at the quilt store nearby (of course!).
My daughter loved this fabric panel by Michael Miller , so I bought a couple and designed this quilt.  The panel included a vertical strip of these blocks in miniature that I'll add to the backing fabric.

I had to work in reverse since I'm not yet good at figuring out finished sizes of blocks. For example, I made the cornerstone blocks from 5" squares, measured the finished product, and then cut the sashing to match them instead of the other way around. Someday I'll understand the fuzzy math of it all ....

I have to say that I do love the retro graphics myself and wish there were going to be a quilt just like it at grandma's house!

Note:  Because the blocks were not printed perfectly square, I cut away the original black border, squared the blocks, and sewed on my own black border.  Doing that allowed me to make the block borders wider as well as making the quilt symmetrical (always a plus!).



2 comments:

  1. I absolutely LOVE it, and Evan will, too!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think he'll like it, too! His mommy has a good eye for what will make a nice quilt!!

      Delete