Friday, March 1, 2013

where I play

Thought I'd introduce you to my happy place.....
aka my sewing room.

First off, here's my dear friend Miss Bernina.
Not too fancy, but so reliable.  And she never complains.

I discovered the framed print at Home Goods (I'm a sucker for anything "birdish").
Not only does it cheer me, but the wide white matting provides a great spot to stick reminder post-it notes!

Next, my little retro doggie.  I downloaded the free pattern from pattern bee, stitched it on some dot fabric, and framed it in an inexpensive IKEA frame. See his little raised ear?  He's wondering what I'm up to.
And my "twirl-a-button" is a scrapbook pen holder.

Here is something I found at a thrift store.  I wasn't sure for what it was originally intended (maybe spices?), but it holds my quilting thread quite nicely! It was half-off day, so I think I paid around $2.

Next is the lovely 12 drawer free-standing kitchen cabinet I bought from IKEA.  A friend of mine had one in her sewing room, and it really is the perfect thing for storing fabric and notions.  The butcher block top is a great size for cutting mats and quite durable to boot.

And finally, here's a cabinet I bought years ago from an antique mall in Roseville, CA.  It first held school books for my children, then my blue and white dishes, and now fabric containers.  My daughter thinks I should Mod Podge decorative paper on the boxes. 
I think she's right.

And there you have it.  Right now, it's all pretty plain.  But I have big plans for adding color and making the space more personal.  My kids know that when I get to spend time in this room each day, they have a happier mommy and better lives!

Thank you, children, for knowing me so well and respecting what I love.
How 'bout I sew you something in appreciation?  ;)




2 comments:

  1. I absolutely love your sewing room. You are so clever in how you repurpose items. Beautiful and useful, too.

    ReplyDelete