Wednesday, February 27, 2013

mama's garden quilt

I know what you're thinking.
You're thinking that because I haven't posted anything in a while, I haven't been sewing.
Don't ever think that.

Actually, I've been sick.  And this is what I was thinking while I was feeling rotten and blowing my nose over and over again:
I can either be sick lying in bed watching movies
OR I can be sick sitting up in a chair sewing.
Now which do you think I chose?

I knew you'd guess right!

Here is ONE of the quilts I finished while I was convalescing.
There are three in all.
But this is the one that is quilted and bound, so I'm blogging it first.

This is made from a Sweetwater pattern and was presented as a class quilt.  In other words, my quilting teacher was making it and invited the class to join her in making one for themselves, if desired.

Because I wasn't blessed with any inherited quilts (insert tears), I decided I'd definitely make this one.  It has a vintage design and I wanted to own something vintage looking - a quilt that looked as if some lovely relative had stitched it years ago and, knowing how much I'd appreciate it, had willed it to me.

So to complement this idea, I chose a reproduction fabric and backed it with an aged looking brown and pink plaid.

Because this quilt was a little tedious to work on - the top is only two fabrics and one of them is cream - I knew if I didn't burn through it that it might become one of those UFO's I hear people talking about (un - finished - object).
So in a couple of days I was done.
My OCD comes in handy from time to time.  Even when I'm sick.  :)


No comments:

Post a Comment