Friday, February 15, 2013

twist and shout

My twelve year old son was given free reign on choosing the fabrics for a quilt that I was going to make for him.  But after he had made his selection, I regretted giving him all of that leeway.
Batiks?  Ummmm.... I don't care for batiks (no offense).  Or at least I haven't caught the vision of batiks, yet.
And then there was all of that bright green.

"Are you sure, Adam?"
He was sure.

I feared that this project was going to be a challenge for me visually.
And I was right.
About halfway through, I had to put away the quilt to take a break from it.  My eyes needed purging!

 (Pay no attention to that boy behind the curtain!)

And I thought that the white fabric was just so harsh.  But it was another choice he insisted on.
Never again do I give up my vetoing power.

When I was done piecing the top, there were a few leftover green fat quarters; so I made a scrappy strip border before the final border.  Then I threw the rest of the fabric away.  That's right, round file.  Right before I danced a jig!

But after the quilt had come back from the quilter and had been washed, it seemed to tone down a little.  Or maybe in the end I just got used to the color.  Either way, it doesn't matter.  Adam loves it.  And that was what this was all about anyway.

Note:  My son wanted this pattern because it looked like origami ninja stars (not the intent of the designer, I'd wager).  The pdf pattern, "Blue Ribbon Twist", is $3.99 and found here.



No comments:

Post a Comment