Wednesday, January 23, 2013

i *heart* baby girls

A baby quilt top that I made a while ago finally became a gift for a little darling.

It all started when I bought a pack of 36 - 6" squares of Joel Dewberry fabrics from a random but nice person in Australia (gotta love the web!).

Because I wanted to showcase the dynamic fabric designs, I constructed 4 simple nine patch blocks.  I then cut through the centers to make 16 split/sliced/disappearing nine patches (Missouri Star Quilt Co. has a nice tutorial here).  The blocks are sashed with 1" strips of fabric (cut at 1.5") and the outer border is 5" (cut at 5.5").
Let me pause here to give a thank you to the sun for hiding so respectfully behind the clouds so that I could snap a decent photo or two!

 I had my friend quilt her darling loops to soften the hard edges of the squares.

Washed and dried, it measures about 37"x37".  Perfect for a stroller or car seat.

For the backing, I simply pieced together some leftover cuts of the fabric line that I had in my stash.

There's that tell-tale photo showing the quilt all rolled up and tied.  It always means one thing and one thing only.... the quilt is ready for a box and a label.  It will now become a belated happy birthday gift for a sweet little one-year-old girl.


5 comments:

  1. Just saw this small quilt on Pinterest and just had to come over and see your post. Very beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by and leaving the nice compliment!! I've actually been thinking about making another quilt using this technique and some Denyse Schmidt fabrics.
      Happy day!
      Kelli

      Delete
  2. Seriously cute!!! I found you on pinterest as well. Thanks for sharing. Great blog

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous - and love the way you wrapped it up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful quilt--it's inspiring me to try and make something similar! Thank you for sharing it with us.

    ReplyDelete