Monday, January 21, 2013

sew worth it!

A wonderful thing happened on Saturday.  Here's how it all began.
I stopped by my local quilt shop to pick up a couple of things for a current project (photos later).  My dear husband was waiting patiently for me as I scurried about trying not to become too distracted by all of the delicious fabric.  As we were leaving, a couple of people that I know from the shop arrived with armfuls of lovelies.  It was Sit 'n Sew night, held once a month, and it started in fifteen minutes!  I'd never been before and wouldn't you know, they'd had a cancellation.

"Honey, what do you think? It's $25."
"Do it!"

Done.

We zipped back home so that I could get my sewing machine and a project to work on, and off I went. I arrived back at the shop about 45 minutes after the class had started, but that still left plenty of time for the ensuing fun.

We started off (yes, this is just the beginning) with cheeses and grapes to nibble, set out on plates at each sewing table.  Next to the plate was a bottle of sparking apple cider.
Dinner was divine: chicken piccata, citrus salad, homemade biscuits, and leek soup.
Then we sewed a while.
Next a store sale was announced (it was the first of three such announcements).  I jumped up and dashed off to snag a darling little bundle of fabric I'd seen earlier.
Then it was door prize time.  There were actually so many door prizes that most of the people there won something.  I won this...


Then we sewed again.
Next it was time for dessert.  The hosts (a mother and daughter duo) had made TWO cakes: one was macadamia nut and banana and the other was coconut cream, each in layered rounds.


Adjacent to the cakes was the hot chocolate bar with darling mason jars to drink from.  The toppings included marshmallows, whipped cream, coconut, and chocolate chips (AND we got to take home the jars!).


At about 8:00pm, a surprise guest arrived.  A masseuse.
There were about 20 people in attendance, and she gave each person (minus one) a back and neck massage.
The one who declined was me.  Fact: I do not like massages (I don't even let my hairdresser give me a scalp massage me during my shampoo!).

At 10:00 there was a drawing for a decorative wire dress form (about 3 feet tall).  I didn't win it, but told the gal who did that if she found it was a bit too bulky for her home, I'd take it off her hands!

At 10:30, five hours from when the class began, we all packed up our goodies and faced reality -
it was time to go home.
Oh, but I did do one last thing before I left.
I signed up for next month's class.









No comments:

Post a Comment