Friday, January 18, 2013

"p" is for potholder

I have a very cute friend named Leigh whom I've mentioned before. She does a beautiful job of quilting ... and does it quickly to boot!  Maybe she's a little OCD like me? But that's not why we're friends.  She's positive, giving, spiritual, and fun.  You couldn't want for more in a person!

We're having lunch next week with with a few other friends to celebrate something wonderful ... the fact that she is now cancer free!  We really should all take a cruise together.  That would be more appropriate for the magnitude of our happiness!  But who wants the stress of trying to fit in last summer's bathing suit after all the recent holiday indulgences?  Or really maybe it's just too expensive.  It's certainly not because we wouldn't want to spend a week together on the ocean!

As for lunch, I wanted to bring a little gift.

So I decided to make Leigh something that I've now made 26 times.
Something square, small, and useful in the kitchen.
Something I could quilt myself.

Did you guess potholder?
(You saw the picture, didn't you!)


But practice didn't make perfect.  There were three tries with this set.
Attempt one:  TWO mistakes!
Attempt two:  Fabrics didn't work well together.
Attempt three: Stars aligned.


I'll add this wonderful magazine with the gift.  I bought one for myself and want to make more than half of the projects in it. (More time and lots more money needed!)  Because Leigh and I have similar tastes in quilting, I think she'll love it, too.  Happy coincidence.... see how well the binding matches the magazine?

NOTE:  The pattern I used for the potholder was from "The Best of Judy Hopkins 365 quilt-Block Patterns Perpetual Calendar".  I think if I show only a smidge of the page, I won't be sued for copyright infringement (finger's crossed!).
Also, I've discovered that an eight inch block is the best size for a potholder.

I've got one more set of potholders I want to make and then I'll stop for a while.
Oh, dear.  I just remembered that there is someone else I wanted to make a set for.
Best not make any promises about stopping just yet.

2 comments:

  1. Yay for Leigh! Have a good time at lunch! I still use my potholder & LOVE IT!xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rachel, you are so cute! Wish you could come with us to lunch. We're going to Garden Center Cafe, and I'm ordering the berry salad with caramelized walnuts. I've got a crave!

    ReplyDelete